- bare, Gabriella Smith (5:25)
- Suolo, David Sanford (3:31)
- The Crocus Palimpsest, David T. Little (4:43)
- Euba’s Dance, Nkeiru Okoye (4:43)
- Reimagined Spring, Jorge Sosa (6:21)
- the motion between three worlds, inti figgis-vizueta (4:58)
- Equal night, Vijay Iyer (9:53)
- Diaphanous Grace, Luna Pearl Woolf (6:28)
- Chloris & Zephyrus, Roberto Sierra (5:37)
- Six Graces, Asher Sizemore (5:41)
- Sorta Voce, Tod Machover (6:47)
- Spring Forward, Jake Heggie (5:07)
- Fluorescenza, Laura Elise Schwendinger (7:44)
- Missa Primavera, Lisa Bielawa (7:38)
PRIMAVERA I the wind is the first collection in a momentous series encompassing 81 world premieres for solo cello. This Grammy-nominated digital album presents 14 new commissions by THE PRIMAVERA PROJECT for groundbreaking, multi-Grammy nominated cellist Matt Haimovitz. Each composer responds to Sandro Botticelli’s enigmatic painting, Primavera, and the prophetic large-scale triptych, Primavera 2020, by world-renowned contemporary artist Charline von Heyl.
Framed by Gabriella Smith’s bare, a moving chorale to environmental turmoil and Lisa Bielawa’s Missa Primavera, a hopeful fantasy on Josquin des Prez’s cantus firmi, Vijay Iyer, David Sanford, Nkeiru Okoye, Jorge Sosa, and others bring a multitude of influences from the world of Jazz and Latin music, to Vivaldi and Scriabin.
Recorded in January 2021 at Charline von Heyl’s artist studio near downtown Marfa, Texas, the distinct and diverse contemporary compositional voices bridge the centuries, expanding and redefining the range and repertoire of the solo cello.
Artist Matt Haimovitz, cello
Executive producers Matt Haimovitz & Jeffrianne Young, M.D.
Recording producer David Frost
Recording engineer Richard King
Production associate Nathan Brandwein
Mastering engineer Silas Brown
Cover art Detail of Charline von Heyl’s Primavera 2020, used with kind permission
Label PENTATONE Oxingale Series (PTC: 5186286)
Release Date June 11, 2021